The course is given in semester 3 in the Nursing Programme and consists of theoretical studies, clinical/practical proficiency training and placement.
On completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- analyse man's development and health from a life-cycle perspective
- apply drug administration and assess effect mechanisms and adverse drug reactions
- apply information and communication technique
- apply situation adapted actions to prevent spread of diseases and health care related infections
- demonstrate self knowledge and empathic ability
- distinguish different illnesses and diseases and explain pathophysiology, diagnostics and treatment
- evaluate his or her need of additional knowledge and show strategy for continuous development of his or her skills
- evaluate theories, models and concepts, apply methods and control documents in relation to nursing, organisation, leadership, development and teaching and also scientific methodology
- independently plan and distribute work assignments and collaborate with different professions, together with the patient plan, perform and evaluate basic nursing actions and under supervision plan, perform and evaluate adapted specific nursing actions
CARING SCIENCES WITH SPECIALISATION IN NURSING
- ethical, cultural, gender- and equality aspects in nursing
- theories, models and concepts related to caring sciences with specialisation in nursing
- scientific methodology 3 and improvement knowledge
- evidence based nursing, including aspects of quality and safety in health care
- information and communication technique
- the organisation, laws, ordinances and control documents of Swedish health care
- the responsibility of Swedish health care when there is violence in close relationships, with focus on women and children
- basic and specific nursing in illness, including health promoting actions
- the nursing process, documentation and care planning models
- clinical status 2
- drug administration 2
- medical technology 3
- leadership and followership
- team collaboration, including professional and interprofessional simulation practice
- clinical chemistry/physiology
- microbiology and immunology
- nutrition 3
- pathophysiology, diagnostics and treatment of illness and diseases in somatic care of children and adults
Lectures, literature studies, work in tutorial groups, role plays, individual work, seminars and web-based teaching. Clinical proficiency training and placement.
Introduction to the course, compulsory lectures, timetabled group meetings, seminars, clinical proficiency training, placement, study assignments with written presentation and examination.
Examination takes place continuously during the course in the form of written and oral assignments individually and in groups and examination of clinical skills. The assignments are examined during current course based on the guidelines (date and time), that are stated by the course coordinator/examiner. In examination of placement the assessment instrument AssCe will be used. All parts of the course and the written individual final examination must be approved in order for the course in its entirety to be regarded as passed.
Student failing examination the first time is allowed 4 re-examinations.(= in total 5 examinations). After 5 failed examinations, the student can lose his or her spot in the programme. If special circumstances apply, the programme committee can admit additional examination attempts.
Each occasion the student participates in an examination is regarded as one examination attempt. Submission of a so called blank exam is regarded as one examination.
According to the decision of the Faculty of Medicine (Dnr 3579/98, 3651/98I), the student should hand in a written application to the course coordinator/director of studies to be allowed to participate in an examination a fourth time. Course coordinator/director of studies and student should then together analyse the situation and when necessary offer support actions in order to optimise the student's preparations before examination.
Students who have failed to accomplish the placement with a pass have the right to undergo renewed placement once (DNR 3579/98, 3651/98l). Time for renewed placement is determined case-by-case, based on when teacher and supervisor in placement are available, preferably during the semester. Placement is carried out in cooperation with health care providers, leave of absence can not be granted during this period.