Language workshop at Campus Gotland
Are you having trouble structuring a paper? Do you want some feedback on the language in your oral presentation? If so, the Language Workshop can help you.
The Language Workshop is free of charge and open to all students at Campus Gotland. We offer individual tutorials on written and oral presentations in both Swedish and English. All tutors at the Language Workshop have extensive experience in teaching academic writing and speech in different academic disciplines. Read more about tutorials.
NB: Due to the spread of the coronavirus, we only offer online tutorials at the present time.
The Language Workshop can also be contacted by teachers who wish to incorporate workshops or lectures into their respective programs or courses. Read more on the Language workshop for teachers.
- Subject guides, UU: This site provides links to a number of dictionaries and databases. Some of them are available to subscribers only. Uppsala University Library subscribes to them and they can be reached from any computer linked to the university network.
- Synonym.com . A quick and easy-to-use dictionary which helps you find synonyms and antonyms.
- FOLDOC. Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing
Grammar and Language
- BBC Skillswise. This site contains exercises and information about various aspects of the English language, such as grammar, spelling, and reading. It also contains fun games to help you improve your language skills.
- Guide to Grammar and Style
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
Guides to essay writing
- Guide to Grammar and Writing. This site provides information about everything from grammar and sentence structure to the writing process and different types of essays. It also offers quizzes and FAQs.
- Advice on Grammar and Writing. This site provides links to guides concerning all areas of essay writing: planning and organizing, reading and researching, using sources, specific types of writing, style and editing, and grammar and punctuation.
- Academic Phrasebank. This site consists of brief information about the different parts of an academic essay together with useful phrases can be used in the different sections.
- Online Technical Writing. A guide for how to write technical reports. It includes examples of texts from various fields.
- Using English for Academic Purposes: A Guide for International Students . An informative site about academic writing.
- WriteFix: Argument and Opinion Essay Writing. Here you will find tips on how to write short argument and opinion compositions.
- University of Richmond, Writing Center. This sites contains information about academic writing in general as well as in different disciplines.
- The Writing Center: University of Wisconsin-Madison. This site provides information about all aspects of academic writing.
- Citing and referencing. This site describes some of the most common systems of documentation.
Literature about writing
- Björk, Lennart and Räisänen, Christine. Academic Writing: A University Writing Course. Lund: Studentlitteratur, 2003.
- Bullock Richard. The Norton Field Guide to Writing, with Readings. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2006.
- Falk, Angela. Thinking and Writing in Academic Contexts: A University Companion. Lund: Studentlitteratur, 2011.
- Graff, Gerald and Birkenstein, Cathy. They Say/I Say: The Moves that Matter in Academic Writing. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2006.
- Malmfors, Birgitta et al. Writing and Presenting Scientific Papers. 2nd ed. Nottingham: Nottingham UP, 2004.
- Swales, John and Feak, Christine B. Academic Writing for Graduate Students. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2002.