What to do if you get sick

What To Do If You Get Sick


The staff at Student Health Services are professional social workers/counsellors. They do not, however, have health care professionals for medical or physical problems. Read more about medical care in Sweden below.

Medical care in Sweden

Medical care in Sweden is very good and it is not expensive to see a doctor and receive treatment.

As a Nordic or EU/EES citizen you have access to public medical services in Sweden if you register beforehand at a social insurance office in your home country and obtain a European Health Insurance Card (choose your language on the European Commission webpage).

Non EU/EES citizens with a residence permit valid for at least 12 months are also entitled to the same health benefits as Swedes, however, you must register at the local tax office as soon as you have a permanent address in Sweden.

The Swedish Primary Health Care (PHC) system offers a wide range of health care services and there are several well equipped centers around Visby. They are the ones to contact if you have physical health problems like colds, stomach problems, a sprained ankle or other such problems. Be sure to check your health insurance from home that your expenses will be covered.

To get in touch with the PHC call 1177, they speak English.

The official website 1177.se also offers extensive advice on healthcare topics in several languages.

Who to contact in an emergency:

In case you need assistance urgently, call 112 to reach:
Ambulance service, the Emergency Department at the hospital, the Police, the Fire brigade, the Social worker on duty and the Chaplain on duty.

There are four defibrillators at Campus Gotland.

Psychological problems

If you are having severe problems and have had contact with a psychiatrist before, please contact your medical centre, which can also refer you to a psychiatric clinic.

If you are currently experiencing severe anxiety or depression, or if you are having suicidal thoughts please contact the psychiatric call service at +46 0498-26 80 05.

If you are unsure of who to contact, you can dial 1177, or contact Student Health Service for guidance.


While it is entirely possible to have some of the most common sexually transmitted infections without knowing about it, there are also several that cause symptoms such as discharge, itching, urinary urgency, ulcers and warts.

You should seek medical care as soon as you suspect that you have a sexually transmitted infection. Contact a UMO youth clinic, antenatal clinic, health centre or gynaecologist.

Although many people find it embarrassing or troubling to seek medical assistance for a sexually transmitted infection, the people who work at these clinics are accustomed to dealing with such problems. Remember: it is better to take one too many tests than one too few. The majority of examinations and treatments for sexually transmitted infections are free of charge.

Get tested for sexually transmitted infections

  • STI clinic (for people over 23 years of age) (page translated by Google)
  • UMO youth clinic (for people under 23 years of age) (page translated by Google).

The STI clinic and UMO are at the same address, Norra Hansegatan 4K in Visby, a walk of around 25 minutes from Campus Gotland.

Healthcare in Sweden

Studyinsweden.se is a comprehensive, official resource on studying in Sweden for prospective and current international students. Here you’ll find everything you need to know on the Swedish higher education system, finding and applying for a programme, searching for scholarships, living as an international student in Sweden and also about healthcare in Sweden.

Studyinsweden.se is built and maintained by the Swedish Institute, a public agency tasked with promoting Sweden abroad.

Study in Sweden

Last modified: 2022-12-20