Uppsala University’s mission, goals and strategies
Mission, Goals and Strategies is Uppsala University’s most important governance document. It articulates our fundamental values and sets out our direction for the future. Mission, Goals and Strategies is intended to enhance the University’s status as a globally leading higher education institution, its position in society and its capacity to continually renew itself to meet present and future challenges.
For a better world
The mission of Uppsala University is to gain and disseminate knowledge for the benefit of humankind and for a better world. The University rests on the idea and fundamental belief that investments in education and research contribute to a better future. The ultimate goal is for research and education to make a difference in society in the long term. Our University will put all its breadth and combined strength into supporting sustainable development, engaging with the wider community and promoting openness and respect.
Highest quality and relevance
- Uppsala University upholds the free pursuit of knowledge in education and research and stands up for academic integrity, diversity and quality.
- Uppsala University’s overall goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance.
- The University is an integrated environment for education and research.
- Our backbone is outstanding education and research across a broad range of fields.
- Staff and students together create a rich environment for education and knowledge.
- Uppsala University is a meeting place for knowledge, culture and critical dialogue.
Six development goals to renew education and research
- Expand education and strengthen the connection between education and research
- Develop research excellence
- Strengthen transdisciplinary and challenge-driven research
- Coordinate and concentrate resources
- Exploit the potential of Campus Gotland
- Develop collaboration
Five strategic priorities to enhance quality and relevance
- Quality assurance and enhancement
- Talent attraction and career systems
- Support and environment
Order a printed copy
6-page leaflet: Mission, Goals and Strategies in brief (pdf)
24-page brochure: Mission, Goals and Strategies in full (pdf)
Order printed copy. Specify which of the printed versions you want, number of copies and delivery address.
Exploit the potential of Campus Gotland
Campus Gotland is one of six development goals in 'renewing education and research' at the University.
The education and research environment at Campus Gotland offers particularly good opportunities for testing new paths and exploiting the potential of multi- and interdisciplinarity and regional collaboration. Campus Gotland will contribute to the capacity of the University to meet the challenges facing society in the future, for example in the area of sustainable development.
Campus Gotland will be a living environment with a high presence of staff and students. The target of 1,500 full-time equivalent students at Campus Gotland lays the foundation for continued development. The University will work to:
- Create organisational conditions for integration and multidisciplinary cooperation at Campus Gotland within the framework of the model incorporating activities at Campus Gotland in the University’s faculty structure.